Wednesday 3 October 2012

REVIEW: "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky

Oh hello there Muggles,

so after I finally ordered "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and already finished it I just had to write this review. I hope you enjoy it! :)




What it is about:

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is about Charlie, who is an 15 year old freshman in highschool. All you get to know about him and his surroundings he tells you through letters, who are addressed to a "friend". 
Although Charlie is very intelligent he is socially awkward and too shy to find real friends especially after his friend Michael killed himself before Charlie starts to write the letters. 
After some time in his new school he meets Patrick and Sam, who are siblings, and they become friends like Charlie never had them before.
He also starts something like a friendship with his English teacher, who gives him books to read and write about and this is how Charlie discovers that he wants to be a writer one day.
Charlie writes the letters for about a year and he tells you what happens in his life, which includes first kisses and drug-experiences but you're also confronted by his difficult personality and background.


Picture by teaser-trailer.com

What I though about it:

Shame on me but I only found out about "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" because of the upcoming film starring Emma Watson. I love her because she "incarnated" my favourite book-character ever: Hermione Granger. :)

After reading about the book on Hayleys Blog Water Painted Dreams I looked for it in local book stores and the library but couldn't find it in English (an extra loud hurray for Germany -.-) and when I read about her loving it SO much again I just ordered it on Amazon. Well, this is why so many order things on Amazon, I guess. :/
Long story short: I got it with my mail on Tuesday and I finished it Wednesday evening and now I am sitting here writing this review because to say it as modest as I can: It was mind-blowing! :)

I would like to start talking about the characters because I think they are the leading role - the most important part in a book. 
I felt kind of connected with Charlie right from the start. I felt with him when he was talking about being nervous starting school. I was overwhelmed by his strange way to look at things. Sometimes you think of him being a 10 year old and one moment later he writes down the wisest words I ever heard. And during the whole book he is just pure honesty in person - probably just because he sometimes is not aware of what goes on or how to react and that always reminded me of a child. You definitely notice that something is not right with him and the end just left me standing there feeling helpless for him - but enough for now: I don't want to spoiler.
Charlie often talks about his friends Patrick, Sam, Mary Elizabeth (worst name ever... sorry for all the "Mary Elizabeth's" out there^^), the rest of the "group" and also his English teacher, who he addresses by his first name "Bill" - all those characters are described so detailed that you think they're real and I'm sure everyone can find some character traits of their one friends in them.
Last but not least there is his family, which is just so perfectly not perfect. There is a lot of love within the family but nevertheless they are in a constant sea saw just as the whole story is basically.

Let me pass into the story in general. And this one is hard because I don't want to spoiler here. Let's just say it's a combination of fun(ny moments), tragic and normality in a very special way because Charlie as the main character is special. There are many, many emotional moments especially because Charlie cries a lot but I never found this to be annoying but moving.
As I said before it is quite a sea saw and you never know what to expect next. Because you can only see the whole story through Charlies eyes, or better say his words, you feel especially connected to him and there are moments in which you can't really understand why he acted like he did - at least I thought so. 
In almost every letter Charlie mentions famous bands, songs, books or films, which makes you feel that it is real and a true happening and I love those little details. You can listen to "The Smiths" and try to understand what Charlie feels when putting one of their songs onto a mixtape he gives to his best friend. :)




Final Conclusion:

I enjoyed every minute I read "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" - no matter how happy or tragic or awkward the storyline was. I felt like I experienced everything with Charlie and I would like to meet him and his surroundings because it's like every person in the book really exists.
The most important part and the thing why I already love "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is that it makes you think a lot and it makes you feel with every character. 
I think it's one of those books that leaves a permanent impression!



I really hoped you liked it.

Please let me know if you already read "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and tell me what you think of it!
I would also love to know if you saw the film or if your going to see it in cinemas! :)

See you next time,
Hermione :)





No comments:

Post a Comment